In 2010, when I decided to start a blog, my future was uncertain. My flower shop had recently gone out of business, I had a new baby and I had just graduated with my BA and I wasn't entirely sure if I would be able to find employment right away. Mainly, I created the blog to give myself something to do, other than obsessively check my email for job interviews and job sites for new listings. I needed something to keep my mind off of my impending unemployment.
When I started writing Dalai Mama, it was more of a journal of thoughts and my daily activities. I used it as a way to share what my family had been up to and what we were doing. Over time, it evolved into sharing deeper thinking, funny conversations and experiences.
In the last four years my writing has changed exponentially. It has gone from a daily journal entry to published think-pieces and featured articles. I write here as a way to share my thinking with others. I don't seek to change minds or hearts, just to reach out and share my stories.
In celebrating my Blogiversary, I thought what a great way to make a consolidated list of the Best of Dalai Mama! So I have compiled my top narrative posts (I took out a few of my How-To type posts which have actually gotten more views than most of my narratives combined.) I hope you enjoy!
The Best of Dalai Mama1. Parenthood is Like Being a Flight Attendant Comparing parenthood/childhood to that of a flight attendant/flight.
2. Sharts and Farts A toot-giggle-shuffle story of over-trusting a fart.
3. Happy Mardi Gras Y'all An experience of going to Mardi Gras with my BFF.
4. The Subtle Way of Being Bitchy: Emily Post Style Bitchy wedding gift giving at it's finest.
5. Mommy Guilt The stresses we put ourselves through seeking perfection as mothers.
6. Blogher Featured: A For-Real Conversation That I Heard at Target The title says it all.
7. How Fifty Shades of Grey Gave My Kindle An STD What happens when a "vanilla" woman steps out of her comfort zone.
8. Blogher Featured: Christmas Brings Out All the Amateurs A Target Christmas shopping experience gone awry.
9. Denise One of my favorites! My first experience with a transvestite.
10. Blizzard Armageddon 2011 An impending snow storm sends a small Midwestern town into a frantic tale spin of Armageddon proportions.
**Since publishing this post I have another one that you CAN NOT miss if you are new here. It is technically my #5 post right now. The Time I Overheard a Craigslist Connection and don't miss this very personal post that was published in Brain, Child Magazine about my experience when my son underwent heart surgery: It Could Be Worse.
I hope you enjoy reading Dalai Mama. In the four years that I have been writing, I have never received a dime of payment. I write to share stories and entertain people. The only form of payment I receive is your comments, feedback and shares. So, if you read something that you enjoyed, please feel free to share and/or let me know what you think! When you comment and give feedback, it encourages me to continue writing. Without readers and feedback, I sometimes feel like I am just talking to myself on this World Wide Web.
If you like what you've read follow me on Facebook and Twitter!